Technical Advisor, Community Engagement
|# of openings:||1|
TITLE: Technical Advisor, Community Engagement
PROGRAM: Strategy and Impact
LOCATION: New York, NY or Washington, DC
REPORTS TO: Director of Technical Strategy and Program Innovation
FLSA/UNION AFFILIATION: Exempt, Union
EngenderHealth is a leading global women’s health organization committed to ensuring that every pregnancy is planned, every child is wanted, and every mother has the best chance at survival. In 20 countries around the world, we train health care professionals and partner with governments and communities to make high-quality family planning and sexual and reproductive health services available—today and for generations to come.
The Technical Advisor (TA) for Community Engagement will support EngenderHealth programs to improve community participation in sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and to maximize the outcomes and impact of EngenderHealth programs. The TA will provide technical guidance on proven or innovative approaches for community engagement to EngenderHealth programs and projects to strengthen the interaction between communities and facilities and to ensure that community health needs and ensure clients rights are considered and respected by health systems and healthcare providers. The TA will develop strategies, and work with EngenderHealth staff to develop programmatic strategies, approaches and tools to address community-level barriers to access and use of SRH services and build the build capacity of EngenderHealth staff for programming in community engagement. The TA will work with staff to conduct formative research to support and facilitate the development of strategies, approaches and tools support program and project goals and outcomes. The TA will report to the Director of Technical Strategy and Program Innovation.
- Work closely with EngenderHealth’s global and country programs and projects to design and implement proven and/or innovative community engagement strategies, approaches and tools.
- Lead the development and updating of strategies, approaches, and tools for community engagement and support their integration and use in current and new EngenderHealth programs and projects
- Collaborate with the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Research to develop and implement relevant analyses, which support organizational learning around community engagement and to contribute to the advancement of the field, as well as to ensure that program-level M&E plans and organizational indicators appropriately and sufficiently measure program progress, process, outcomes and impact as regards community engagement.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation and Research, the Clinical Support Team lead and the TAs for Gender, Rights-based Programming and Social Behavior Change to ensure programmatic activities and workplans, program tools (including training materials), integrate and reflect organizational strategies, approaches and tools.
- Serve as EngenderHealth’s organizational expert and leader on community engagement strategies, approaches and tools, both for EngenderHealth staff and among external stakeholders, for example by presenting at technical meetings and conferences or by participating in relevant working and advisory groups.
- Build capacity of EngenderHealth staff and partners as regards community engagement approaches and strategies, including through training, mentoring and supporting the institutionalization and operationalization of key strategies and approaches.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Graduate degree in public health, international development, or related behavioral sciences
- Minimum of 7 - 9 years’ experience in design and implementation of community engagement programs with at least 5 years being in developing countries.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated expertise in the theory, science and practice of community engagement and behavior change as it applies to sexual and reproductive health.
- Demonstrated expertise in the provision of technical assistance and training to programs in developing countries.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in community engagement, participation and demand generation for increasing access and use of family planning, maternal health, and HIV/AIDS services in developing countries. Current or previous residence in a developing country a plus.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation of community-based programs.
- Experience in presenting findings, results and lessons learned to international audiences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to think synthetically and creatively.
- Ability to function effectively as a team member.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in French highly desirable.
- Travel up to 30% of the time in the field, working with EngenderHealth field staff and partners.
EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state and local laws.
EngenderHealth complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in the United States in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.