Posted on: April 22, 2014
Application deadline: Open until filled
Posted by: The San Francisco LGBT Community Center
The mission of the Center is to develop programs and services that welcome the entire diversity of the LGBT community; unite our community across lines of religion, age, race, gender and economics; give visibility to the history and culture of all the diverse parts of our community; foster discussion and planning for our political and cultural future; and nurture new and start-up organizations to meet emerging community needs. Under the supervision of the Director of Programs, the Community Programs Coordinator is responsible for recruitment and training of volunteers, coordination of community programs, outreach and community engagement efforts, provision of information and referral services and special projects.
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary, paid medical insurance, paid vacation time, personal days and holidays
Description of Job Functions
Information and Referral Program
- Provide direct person to person, telephone and electronic communication to the public regarding the Center and community information and resources.
- Supervise, schedule and evaluate volunteers and interns for the Center's information and referral desk, ensuring highest possible client service delivery. Provide staff back up for the information and referral desk as necessary.
- Supervise volunteers on maintenance of Center bulletin boards and provision of collateral materials in public areas of the facility.
- Assist in training on protocols and procedures with volunteers.
- Oversee data entry and regular updates of the I&R database.
- Recruit volunteers and provide initial training / orientation for new volunteers. Participate in planning and implementation of volunteer appreciation and professional development for volunteers.
- Support basic volunteer coordination for Center programs and services, including recruitment, training and scheduling of volunteers for specific program activities.
- Assist in the coordination of community programs and responses on current events and community issues including lectures, readings, town hall meetings, celebrations, marches and/or media responses and press conferences
- Assist in the coordination of Center Pride month activities, including parade contingent, float and booth.
- Recruit, coordinate and schedule volunteers to staff the Cyber Center
- Oversee Cyber Center cash handling and record keeping.
- Provide conflict management and security assistance.
- Work with Facilities staff and technical staff to keep Cyber Center equipment in operating condition.
- Actively participate as a member of the Community Programs team including provision of back up for other program staff as needed.
- Support special projects, including participating in long and short term program planning, implementation of program activities and initiatives and tracking of statistics and evaluation data.
- Other duties assigned by Director of Programs
- Work on evenings and week-end hours will be required.
- Commitment to the mission of the San Francisco LGBT Community Center. Experience and commitment to working in a multicultural environment.
- Minimum one year experience working in community organizing, volunteer management and/or program coordination. Demonstrated ability to work with a broad cross-section of the LGBT community.
- Strong familiarity with LGBT resources, including, but not limited to, health and wellness, housing, legal, employment and social activities.
- Strong communication, conflict resolution, de-escalation, and crisis management skills, ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent customer-service abilities.
- Experience working collaboratively with multiple agencies desired.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively with supervisor or as part of a team in a fast paced environment.
- Computer/PC literacy, including Internet proficiency, Microsoft Office Software, Google Docs, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Fluency in English is required. Bilingual or ASL skills highly desired.
- The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and lift objects up to 30 pounds. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
The SF LGBT Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or inter-sex are encouraged to apply. The SF LGBT Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability (including HIV or AIDS), medical condition, perceived physical disability or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by statute.
How to Apply
Submit both resume and cover letter expressing your interest, experience and qualifications to:
The SF LGBT Community Center
1800 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Please put Community Programs Coordinator in the subject of your message.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE