Advocacy and Communications Manager - Every Woman Every ChildPosted on: January 15, 2014
Application deadline: January 29, 2014
Posted by: United Nations Foundation
The Advocacy and Communications Manager for Every Woman Every Child is responsible for developing and executing advocacy and communications strategies to advance the goals of Every Woman Every Child, the Secretary-General's Global Strategy on Women's and Children's Health, launched in September 2010 (www.everywomaneverychild.org).
Every Woman Every Child is a global effort bringing together governments, philanthropic institutions and other funders, the United Nations and multilateral organizations, civil society and non-governmental organizations, the business community, health-care workers and professionals, and academic and research institutions around the world to help save the lives of 16 million women and children by 2015. The United Nations Foundation has been tasked with overseeing global communications and advocacy efforts and stewarding commitments from the private sector and ensuring momentum remains high through 2015 and beyond. The Advocacy and Communications Manager will be responsible for advocacy efforts and online and offline communications, including creating, editing, and posting original and partner content to www.everywomaneverychild.org, and sharing with affiliated campaigns. S/he will also be tasked with developing written materials and talking points for use by representatives of the UN Foundation and Every Woman Every Child partners. Working closely with the Senior Director of the Millennium Development Goals Initiatives, s/he will also raise awareness and energize diverse constituencies by developing and executing advocacy campaigns, policy tools, and supporting events around the Millennium Development Goals and the Post-2105 development framework.
The UN Foundation (UNF) was created in 1998 with entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner's historic $1 billion gift to support UN causes and activities. UNF is an advocate for the UN and a platform for connecting people, ideas, and capital to help the United Nations solve global problems including decreasing child mortality, improving disaster relief, protecting diverse cultures and environments, creating a clean energy future, empowering women and girls, and improving U.S.-UN relations. UNF is a public charity that engages in advocacy, grant making, and building partnerships.
The Advocacy and Communications Manager is a member of the New York Team. S/he reports to the Senior Director of the Millennium Development Goals Initiatives, and will work closely with theEvery Woman Every Childteam, Public Affairs, Global Health, Women & Population, and Global Partnerships teams and other relevant campaigns at the UN Foundation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Every Woman Every Child (EWEC) and Public Affairs teams to develop and execute strategic advocacy and communications plans (including print, broadcast, online, social media outreach, electronic communications, advocacy outreach and events) relevant to advancing the work of the EWEC;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Develop and execute the advocacy and communications strategy for EWEC, including working with partners, and writing/editing public-facing EWEC materials such as fact sheets, talking points, event briefings, meeting summaries, press releases, and media advisories;
- Manage EWEC's online activities, including updates to and maintenance of the EWEC website, and development of innovative data visualizations such as infographics;
- Oversee execution of the monthly EWEC newsletter, advocacy call minutes and other regular communications;
- Help to implement the EWEC Roadmap, a series of events and other opportunities to raise awareness and undertake advocacy for EWEC;
- Assist with the formulation and execution of the EWEC events;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with advocacy and communications counterparts within the EWEC community, including outreach to new partners and to build the EWEC contact database and securing press opportunities;
- Represent the EWEC at internal and external meetings, conferences, and events concerned with EWEC issues;
- Engage with other UN Foundation staff to ensure content sharing and synergy across campaigns;
- Stay abreast of new developments in the global health and development, including new commitments by all sectors, implementation progress, and key meetings and events;
- Support the Senior Director on additional projects around the Millennium Development Goals and the Post-2105 Development Framework;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in the fields of global health or international development and with international campaigns;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, work to deadlines with other team members with grace and effectiveness under pressure, and undertake independent problem solving;
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, and oral communications skills;
- A demonstrated knowledge of global issues and the UN system, and an understanding of the UNF mission, programs, strategy and goals;
- Bachelor's degree or higher and at least 3-5 years of work experience in relevant areas such as international affairs, public policy, public health, journalism, or communications with communications outlets, governments, NGOs, the private sector, or the United Nations.
- Specific communication skills a plus, including:
- Expertise in Powerpoint and Excel spreadsheet use for presentations and analyses;
- Knowledge and prior use of HTML, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks
- Proficiency in CRM & CMS — Convio and Joomla highly preferable.
- Proficiency in the use of social media monitoring and analytics tools;
- Knowledge of video editing software such as Final Cut Pro;
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, and ability to work well on the road.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Salary commensurate with experience. Actual salary will depend on qualifications and anticipated contribution to the Foundation.
UNF pays 100% of medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance premiums for its employees and 75% of medical and vision for employees' dependents.
In addition, UNF provides 20 days of paid vacation per year, 12 paid holidays, three personal days per year, an immediately vested 150% matching 403(b) contribution up to a limit of six-percent of employee pay, Metro Pass benefits, and flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care.
HOW TO APPLY
Go to https://careers-unfoundation.icims.com/jobs/1122/advocacy-and-communications-manager%2c-every-woman-every-child/job