Program and Administrative CoordinatorPosted on: June 14, 2014
Application deadline: June 29, 2014
Posted by: Yoga Behind Bars
General SummaryYoga Behind Bars (YBB), an innovative Seattle-based nonprofit offering yoga and meditation classes in prisons, jails and detention centers, is seeking an organized and self-motivated Program & Administrative Coordinator. This part-time, independent contractor position will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with the Program Director. Position responsibilities include program and volunteer support, as well as general administrative duties as described below.
1) Keep volunteer teacher records current including tracking facility-mandated new volunteer orientations, sponsor and Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) trainings, and clearance renewals.
2) Help schedule volunteer teachers for classes and shadowing.
3) Keep all volunteer teacher contact information updated.
4) Update and develop volunteer materials (policies and procedures, applications, volunteer agreements, orientation handbooks).
5) Support biannual evaluations processes and procedures.
6) Track teacher and student hours on a monthly basis.
7) Work with Program Director to coordinate community outreach to recruit volunteer teachers.
8) Screen and match volunteer teachers to organizational needs and opportunities.
9) Support bi-annual Teacher Training, mentorship, and orientation for volunteer teachers.
10) Coordinate volunteer appreciation and community events in partnership with leadership team.
Support day-to-day activities of YBB
1) Respond to inquiries from potential volunteers and supporters.
2) Manage social media presence.
3) Update website and create monthly e-newsletter.
4) Update and maintain data and information about volunteers + donors in SalesForce.
5) Prepare deposits for bank and create monthly financial reports for bookkeeper.
6) Conduct research and literature reviews on current developments in prison yoga instruction, social justice and yoga service.
7) Develop program materials as needed.
8) Complete other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must demonstrate genuine passion and enthusiasm for the mission of Yoga Behind Bars, as well as excellent organizational and people skills. The individual must be flexible, focused, and possess strong professional initiative. S/he has excellent verbal and written communication skills and is comfortable working with our multiple communities (volunteer teachers, students, prison administrators, partner organizations, board members, supporters). S/he must to be able to work independently. Proficiency with MS Office is a must.
Relevant degrees and experience are desirable, but we deeply value a collaborative disposition and willingness to learn. Also important is an understanding of the socio-economic dynamics at play within our criminal justice system. Knowledge of databases and design software such as Photoshop and InDesign a plus. Volunteer management experience highly desirable.
HoursThis is a part-time independent contractor position for an average of 25 hrs/wk. Hours will increase to 30 hrs/wk when Program Director takes leave of absence from December 2014-April 2015. High flexibility with scheduling. Compensation is $18 per hour.
Equal OpportunityYoga Behind Bars values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, formerly incarcerated people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these or other backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to ApplyApplication deadline is Sunday, June 29, 2014.
Please submit the following materials to Nari Baker, Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, in PDF format: (1) a cover letter; (2) resume; and (3) addresses and telephone numbers of three individuals, one of whom is/was an immediate supervisor, who has firsthand knowledge of applicant's professional abilities. References will not be contacted without prior notification of the candidate. Please do not paste your resume in the body of the email.