Medica Afghanistan is looking for a Legal Expert to undertake a desk study both for the purpose of internal monitoring and external advocacy on theutilisation and general status of the EVAW law during 2014.
Deadline: April 20, 2015
Organization: Medica Mondiale
Medica Mondiale is an international Women’s Rights organization based in Germany. We offer direct psychosocial, medical and legal support to traumatised women in war and crisis zones and advocate for the rights of women and girls.Medica Afghanistan is an organization of Afghan women working towards elimination of violence against Afghan women. We provide psychosocial and legal aid support as well as awareness raising and capacity building in the fields of psychosocial, health, education and legal aid in order to eliminate violence against women and elevate women’s social status.
Medica Afghanistan has been involved since 2005 to advocate for the drafting and the ratification of the Elimination of Violence against Women Law (EVAW law). It is considered as the second big legislative achievement for promotion and restoration of women rights after the Constitution. After enactment of EVAW Law, Medica Afghanistan has advocated with prosecutors and judges to implement EVAW.
Medica Afghanistan also endeavours to increase explicit support of EVAW law by parliamentarians and civil society.For our joint project we are looking for a Legal Expert (female) to undertake a desk study both for the purpose of internal monitoring and external advocacy on the utilisation and general status of the EVAW law during 2014. The study shall comprise an analysis ofthe use of EVAW law by the judiciary in cases represented in court by Medica Afghanistan’s legal aid staff in 2014. It shall also examine how EVAW law is used by Medica Afghanistan lawyers to defend women’s rights and the responses of the judiciary system to it.
The assignment shall be completed in approx. 14 working days. Due date for submission of the final report analysis is 29 January 2016.
- Conduct the study in close cooperation with senior legal staff of Medica Afghanistan to clarify the procedure.
- Review the questionnaire established in 2013 and assess use of EVAW law by Medica Afghanistan lawyers and response of judiciary with the questionnaire.
- Analyse the defence statements and court decisions of all Medica Afghanistan lawyers and their cases in Kabul, Herat and Mazar-e Sharif of 2014.
- Provide a report with the analysis, findings and recommendations. The period covered shallbe from 01.01 .2014- 31.12.2014. The report shall comprise approx. 20 pages.
- Legal background· Professional experience with SGBV and women’s rights/protection legislation
- Should be familiar with the judiciary system in Afghanistan
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills combined with proficiency in English
- Working experience with International NGOs and cross-cultural competence
Please email your application (CV, cover letter and references not exceeding 2 MB) to email@example.com. Closing date is April 20, 2015.
Further information on our projects can be found on our website: www.medicamondiale.org
Article License: Copyright - Article License Holder: medica mondiale