Resident Senior Program Manager For Conflict Resolution
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking a Resident Senior Program Manager to support the Resident Director in Bamako, Mali in implementing program activities related to conflict resolution (CR) at the local level by performing the duties listed below.
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Location: Bamako, Mali
Organization: The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs and oversees the implementation of program activities while ensuring that approaches are in line with best practices in CR internationally and can be adapted to local realities in remote parts of the country.
- Serves as the technical expert on CR, including acting as a primary trainer for program beneficiaries, responding to inquiries and concerns from a network of community mediators, and adapting standard modules to local contexts.
- Provides assistance and leadership in day-to-day program management and acts as program focal point in absence of Resident Director.
- Contributes to the planning, design and evaluation of the program in collaboration with NDI staff, local partners, in-house experts and external experts and advisors.
- Contributes to the development of materials, information sheets, reports, website articles and other products required to implement and publicize NDI’s CR work in Mali.
- Assists the Resident Director and NDI colleagues to identify, develop and seek funding for new or follow-on activities or programs to enhance NDI’s CR programs in Mali.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with international organizations, local civic organizations, Malian ministries and agencies involved in reconciliation, and NDI’s network of trainers and experts.
- Monitors and keeps Resident Director and other NDI staff informed of political, social and economic events in country that could impact the reconciliation process and/or the program.
- Serves as NDI representative at CR-related local conferences and meetings and at other events as assigned when the Resident Director is unavailable.
- Supervises, guides and mentors staff assigned as subordinates.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, preferably in conflict resolution or related subject; graduate degree desired.
- A minimum of ten (10) years relevant work experience in conflict resolution or related substantive experience. Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis.
- Living or working experience in post-conflict countries in Sub-Saharan Africa required; current or recent Mali experience preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- French fluency required; English fluency preferred.
- Exceptional competency and experience in conflict resolution at a community level.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, program partners and beneficiaries with a wide range of backgrounds, U.S. and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policy makers.
- Superior oral communications skills to effectively present information, respond to questions and negotiate.
- Experience in training on conflict resolution strategies for multi-ethnic, tense environments.
- Understanding of gender dimension of programming in general and conflict mitigation programming specifically; knowledge of women’s leadership development.
- Exceptional analytical skills for interpreting complex program and political issues and to think innovatively and introduce new concepts.
- Superior writing skills, clear and persuasive and experienced enough to edit all types of team documents.
- Experienced management and leadership skills in order to lead, inspire and motivate staff.
- Experience in program design, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired;
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations outside of Bamako, which are often remote and difficult to reach.
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Article License: Copyright - Article License Holder: The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs