Strategic Programs Manager
UAF-Africa seeks a Strategic Programs Managerwho will translate UAF-Africa’s strategic plans into effective social justice initiatives and results.
Deadline: April 19, 2015
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Organization: Urgent Action Fund-Africa
Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa) is a consciously feminist and women’s human rights pan- African Fund, registered in Nairobi, Kenya. Operating as a virtual organisation, the Fund boasts of a strategic presence in Africa’s four sub-regions in East Africa: Nairobi, Kenya & Dar es salaam, Tanzania; North Africa: Cairo, Egypt; West Africa; Abuja, Nigeria and Southern Africa; Harare, Zimbabwe. Recognising the need to move resources rapidly on a continent where opportunities and threats arise and decline quickly, UAF-Africa uses a Rapid Response Grantmaking model to support unanticipated, time sensitive, innovative and unique initiatives that promote women’s agency in democratic governance, economic justice, natural resources governance, conflict transformation and justice processes while protecting their personhood, integrity and rights.
UAF-Africa seeks a Strategic Programs Manager who will translate UAF-Africa’s strategic plans into effective social justice initiatives and results. Guided by feminist principles and values, the Fund advocates for women’s equality, not only as a matter of human rights, but also as a fundamental prerequisite for social change, global security, and sustainable peace. In addition to her core business of Rapid Response Grantmaking, UAF-Africa also runs alliance building and advocacy initiatives in collaboration with other organisations including ground-breaking initiatives, action-oriented research and publications- to deepen understanding on gender dimensions and implications of particular conflicts and marginalised sexual rights; provide women with tools needed for strategic engagements and policy advocacy as well as to encourage knowledge and information generation and dissemination in critical and emerging areas affecting women’s rights.
The Strategic Programs Manager is an exceptional, dynamic, self-driven, team player with a unique hybrid of activism and leadership qualities. Supported by a values oriented team, s/he has experience at senior management level, knowledge of and commitment to feminist principles and values and women’s human rights issues, and a sophisticated ability to forging mutually reinforcing partnerships with relevant women’s rights CSO partners, academia, media, private sector, UN & AU counterparts and with bilateral and non-traditional funders and actors in order to stimulate action in the mobilization of visibility and resources to advance gender equality and women’s rights.
S/he has experience in resource mobilisation and financial management, proven management of a diverse and virtually connected staff complement, bilingual in French and English with excellent communication skills. Respect for minority diversity and a collaborative working style are essential. S/he must be willing to undertake frequent travel regionally and internationally. The selected candidate will report to the Executive Director/CEO. The position will be based in the candidate’sAfrica-based home country in line with UAF-Africa’s virtual office policy.
- Provide strategic oversight, technical and program management to ensure programs delivery, high quality outputs, with accuracy and consistency.
- Provide management advisory role on all aspects of program support, including leading the core program team, and contributing to resource mobilization.
- To identify how to catalyse political debate and strategic action issues merging from UAF- Africa’s grant-making, in collaboration with other stakeholders, and to initiate and co-ordinate resultant initiatives.
- Participate as a member of the UAF-Africa’s management team.
- Play a key role in managing and expanding the regional advocacy program portfolio.
- Ensure sound financial and resource management of all programs.
Description of Duties
- Monitor program budgets and prepare budget modifications when necessary.
- Develop a clear plan and strategy for program management to ensure effective implementation.
- Lead in proposal development for program growth.
- Disseminate program information by preparing timely and regular program reports.
- Develop and lead research and advocacy activities integrated in the overall program.
- Develop and maintain solid working relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Lead and manage program trends analysis for continuous improvement and growth.
- Assess level of risks associated with program implementation and suggest mitigation strategies.
- Develop guidelines, and toolkits for effective program implementation.
- Manage staff development through performance based management and leadership.
- Undertakes other program related duties as may be assigned by the CEO.
Master’s degree in social sciences, law, women or gender studies or other development-related fields.
- Progressive gender equality/women’ rights and or social justice experience and knowledge at international level particularly work experience in developing countries.
- In-depth understanding of gender equality and women’s rights issues, particularly in politically unstable and post conflict African settings.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience of managing a diversified national /regional women’s/human rights programme in a funding setting working on grant making, advocacy, alliance building, action research and communications.
- Demonstrated expertise in successful resource mobilisation.
- Familiarity with the women’s rights development needs in Africa.
- Proven experience in managing and leading virtual staff and teambuilding.
- Feminist with contextual knowledge of the women’s rights situation on the continent and commitment to adhering to individual and organisational feminist principles and values.
- Knowledge of social justice/development frameworks, donor liaison and management.
- Familiarity with grantmaking is an added advantage
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French (a must).
- Developing others and building effective teams
- Excellent inter-personal, public speaking and negotiation skills
- Virtual team leadership
- Balanced and intuitive decision-making
- Role modelling
- Proven results-based program development, organisation and management
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate emerging needs and integrate them speedily into priority settings
- Good understanding of electronic communications and standard office computer software
This is an international position that involves extensive travel. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. To apply: Applicants fulfilling the requirements should submit their application together with a detailed CV and all relevant attachments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Strategic Programs Manager. Hard copies should be sent to; Human Resources Office, Urgent Action Fund-Africa, PO Box 53841-00200 Nairobi-Kenya by 10pm GMT Sunday 19th April, 2015. UAF-Africa will respond to candidates who are short-listed for interviews.
Article License: Copyright - Article License Holder: Urgent Action Fund-Africa