Youth Law Academy Program CoordinatorPosted on: July 1, 2013
Application deadline: July 25, 2013
Posted by: Centro Legal de la Raza
The Youth Law Academy, a project of Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal), seeks a highly qualified individual for the position of Program Coordinator. The successful candidate will be building on prior accomplishments and significantly improving and expanding the Youth Law Academy's programs, resources and support.
Founded in 1969, Centro Legal is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income and Latino families by providing free, bilingual, and culturally sensitive legal representation, education and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the human and civil rights of low-income people, particularly monolingual Spanish-speaking immigrants throughout the East Bay region of Northern California.
THE YOUTH LAW ACADEMY
The Youth Law Academy is fostering the next generation of talented judges and lawyers from underrepresented and diverse backgrounds. Through leadership development, mentorships, academic support, scholarships, college preparation, and career guidance, the Youth Law Academy encourages and supports youth in pursuing academic excellence and educational and professional opportunities in the law.
The Youth Law Academy (YLA) Program Coordinator reports to the YLA Program Director and provides administrative support for the YLA, primarily in the areas of student data tracking, financial aid education, teaching of curriculum, coordination of activities, and mentorship.
- Assisting with the planning and coordination of various events including financial aid education, Mock Trial, Swear-in Ceremony, YLA Retreat, SAT Test Prep course, mentor mixer, law office visits, and professional development series;
- Working with Program Director to recruit students to the Youth Law Academy by conducting outreach to local high school freshmen and presenting on the A-G course requirements;
- Working with Program Director to coordinate a team of mentors who include judges, attorneys, and college students;
- Assisting with Cash for College nights and community financial aid advising workshops;
- Tracking and managing student information including community service hours, personal profile, financial aid application progress, academic progress, and mentorship activities;
- Create culturally sensitive Individual Action Plans with students and parents;
- Coordinating and executing after-school programming for high school students. Programming includes Foundations in Law courses, Mock Trial exercises, life skills seminars, peer support, and leadership development; and
- Assisting students with problem solving and crisis management.
- BA degree;
- Bilingual Spanish-English preferred;
- Familiarity with Project-Based Learning methodology preferred;
- Familiarity with legal concepts preferred;
- Demonstrated minimum 1 year experience working with Financial Aid Advising to high school seniors and undergraduate students;
- Demonstrated minimum 1 year experience working with low-income urban youth;
- Experience working with a diverse client and staff population;
- Ability to bring strong, sustained energy and creativity to working with youth;
- Passion for YLA's mission;
- Ability to work independently with minimal to moderate supervision;
- Ability to work until 6:30pm during the weekday and occasional weekends;
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor with great interpersonal and communication skills; and
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
HOW TO APPLY
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until July 25, 2013. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references to email@example.com. Place these words in the subject line "YLA Program Coordinator."
Juan Vera, Youth Law Academy Program Director
Centro Legal de la Raza
3022 International Boulevard, Suite 410
Oakland, CA 94601
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.