Editorial AssistantPosted on: August 1, 2014
Posted by: American Association of University Women (Headquarters)
Application deadline: August 15, 2014
Start date: September 29, 2014
Job location: Washington, DC
Employment type: Full-time
Who is AAUW?The American Association of University Women (AAUW) empowers women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Our nonpartisan, nonprofit organization has more than 165,000 members and supporters across the United States, as well as 1,000 local branches and 800 college and university partners. Since AAUW's founding in 1881, our members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
Our Art, Editorial, and Media Department oversees everything that AAUW produces, from program collateral and website updates to membership brochures and development appeals. Our staff is committed to our mission and to creating high-quality materials that portray the organization as the vibrant force it is.
Job SummaryAAUW is hiring a talented editorial assistant to join our busy Art, Editorial, and Media Department. You'll be in charge of making sure the trains run on time. We create hundreds of materials a year, and we need your organizational prowess and gentle nagging to keep everyone on track. You'll also have the opportunity to build your editorial skills and take on some projects of your own.
Essential DutiesAs our editorial assistant, you will complement our existing departmental staff by maintaining our project management system as well as managing your own editorial projects, from press releases to blog posts to membership brochures. You'll work on everything from traditional publications projects such as newsletters, e-mails, and flyers, as well as some less-traditional items such as web graphics and social media campaigns.
- 4-year degree in English, journalism, or communications
- Effective and extensive organizational skills. You love systems, but you also know exactly when to stop planning and start working.
- A genuine interest in the English language and an ability to develop a sophisticated understanding of grammar, style, and usage
- A working knowledge of AP and Chicago style with the ability to quickly learn and adapt to house style
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort managing sideways and up. You'll have to hold people at all levels of the organization to deadlines, and you should feel confident doing so.
Who We Are Looking ForWe're looking for someone who loves to learn and to take initiative, who has big ideas, but who can also craft a plan and do the work to make those ideas happen.
We are committed to hiring the best editorial assistant in the area for this job, but we also want someone who is devoted to our mission. It's a demanding and fast-moving job, and you'll enjoy it more if you care about the cause.