Posted on: July 23, 2013
Application deadline: August 9, 2013
The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) is an international feminist organization working to strengthen the voice, impact and influence of women's rights advocates, organizations and movements internationally.
Recognizing that religious fundamentalisms are gaining ground all over the world with particularly negative consequences for women's rights, the Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms (CF) initiative aims to contribute to greater strategic thinking, dialogue and advocacy on religious fundamentalisms by women's rights and other progressive social justice organizations and movements.
The Challenging Religious Fundamentalisms (CF) –Advocacy Associate is a full-time position, reporting to the CF Manager, who will be responsible for:
-Conducting research, writing and analysis linked to CF strategic knowledge building and advocacy objectives -Alliance-building through participation in relevant meetings, and formal and informal communications with external stakeholders and key allies -Advocating for positive change with regards to women's rights and religious fundamentalisms -Actively participating in team - and organization - learning and development processes
We are looking for an individual who is committed to the principles and values of feminism, anti-discrimination, and anti-racism. The ideal candidate will have strong analysis and familiarity with themes related to religious fundamentalisms and women's rights, relevant experience with advocacy and alliance building, both virtually and in person, excellent writing and editing skills, strong ability to analyze information and a proven capacity to think strategically and analytically. She will also be able to work independently with minimal supervision, enjoy working virtually and with a diverse staff. If you fit this description we would love to hear from you!
4-6 years Experience:
Working for a non-profit organization in a related role:
- producing writing and analysis related to women's rights and/or religious fundamentalisms - advocating to effect change (in national, regional or global spaces) - alliance-building, both face to face as well as virtually - working in a multi-cultural team and/or one located in diverse locations • Strong analysis of key issues and themes related to religious fundamentalisms, women's rights and human rights (including sexual and reproductive rights, LGBTQI rights, minority rights etc.) •Working in organizations based in the Global South and/or Central and Eastern Europe
• University degree in related field: social science, political science, international relations, development, gender studies, religious studies, human rights, etc.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated capacity to think strategically and analytically, displays good judgment • Demonstrated experience with complex issues as they relate to religious fundamentalisms and women's rights, both in particular regions as well as on a global level • Knowledge and experience with the international human rights system and processes particularly in relationship to women's rights • Effective advocate, with experience advocating on issues of religious fundamentalisms, women's human rights and gender equality • Excellent writing skills, particularly for policy briefs and position statements, ability to analyze information across a range of disciplines and able to extract relevant analyses • Experience with alliance building across different and diverse constituencies • Effective public speaking and presentation skills • Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, as well as in one of the following: Spanish, French or Arabic • Keen attention to detail and quality control • Ability to plan and organize multiple projects with multiple deliverables and deadlines • Strong computer skills, including word processing, Excel, presentation packages (Power Point), Internet, and e-mail • Experience and interest in using online communications for awareness raising and advocacy • Strong interpersonal skills and able to manage conflict effectively • Ability to work virtually, using communication technologies • Works effectively and collaboratively in a small team • Proactive, takes initiative and proposes constructive ideas • Able to work under pressure and to produce results quickly • Familiarity with international and regional women's rights organizations and networks working on women's rights, sexual reproductive rights, LGBTQI, human rights, and/or religious fundamentalisms • Able to travel internationally • Committed to the principles and values of feminism and anti-oppression
• Graduate degree in related field • Proficient in the use of ICTs, web 2.0 and web utilities to effect change • Trilingual (English and any combination of Spanish-French-Arabic-Russian)
• Contributes to definition of advocacy priorities, objectives and strategies to advance advocacy on religious fundamentalisms and women's rights particularly at the international level • Implements advocacy objectives and strategies with international actors (both governmental and non), in coordination with the CF Manager • Drafts position statements and policy briefs on relevant issues and provides strategic inputs and analysis in reacting to relevant documents produced by others. • Participates in advocacy actions when needed to influence select international spaces, in collaboration with partner organizations • Represents AWID in select international or regional venues identified as relevant for advocacy purposes or alliance building • Makes public presentations of research results or other CF analysis and resources, and /or facilitates small working groups, consultations or caucuses as needed • Maintains regular communication with allies and other actors relevant to AWID's advocacy objectives
• Contributes to further conceptualizing the research and knowledge-building components of the CF workplan • Conducts research related to advocacy priorities and drafts updates, statements, analytical pieces including spotlight pieces, AWID Friday Files and other informational resources as required. • Contributes to analysis of research findings • Helps translate CF knowledge into materials that are accessible including providing support to short papers, manuals etc.
• Participates in outreach efforts to expand and deepen AWID's engagement and collaboration with actors from women's and other social movements working on issues of religious fundamentalism • Liaises with stakeholders (partner organizations, consultants, etc.) to discuss collaborative initiatives, provide information or follow-up on commitments and deadlines • Drafts AWID's responses and urgent actions including letters, solidarity messages and statements (comment: I see this as more central to the role rather than occasionally required) • Works with Communications Team to develop new mechanisms for appropriate actions including social media and other tools
• Assists with preparation of meeting-related documents including background reading, agenda, concept papers, presentations etc. • Contributes to note-taking of meeting proceedings and documentation for post event • Participates in organizing CF sessions to present research and analysis produced by the initiative and/or strategize
• Contributes to workplanning, monitoring and evaluation and reporting processes to effectively advance strategic objectives of the program • Ensures the timely and effective implementation of deliverables linked to individual workplan, including all activities, reports and evaluations • Participates and contributes to CF team coordination and planning meetings • Participates actively in organizational meeting venues (office and staff meetings) and committees • Maintain professional conduct, confidentiality and ethical standards at all times
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit in English, a current CV, along with a cover letter (no more than two pages) that addresses how you meet the necessary qualifications to:
Fax: +416 594 0330
E-mail: email@example.com (please include "CF Advocacy Associate" in the subject line)
In addition please include a response to the following question (no more than 300 words)
"What would you consider are the key challenges in advocating for women's rights in the context of religious fundamentalisms?"
The application closing date is Friday, August 9, 2013
We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please. AWID encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work.
To learn more about AWID and our programs, please visit our website at www.awid.org.