The Communications Director supports the organization’s goals, strategies, and points of view by framing and helping to convey them to relevant internal and external audiences. The Communications Director will play an integral role in helping IDEX achieve its programming goals over the next 18 months and beyond, including mobilizing more resources to solutions by visionary leaders on the frontlines of social good in Lain American, Asia and Africa.
Deadline: March 6, 2015
Organization: International Development Exchange
IDEX identifies, evaluates, and grows the best ideas from local leaders and grassroots organizations to alleviate poverty and injustice around the world. IDEX connects a passionate and engaged network of supporters to the visionary leaders and organizations creating lasting solutions to their communities’ most pressing challenges. Since its founding in 1985, IDEX has supported more than 500 grassroots, community-led projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Annually, IDEX’s partners serve approximately 1.2 million people in impoverished communities, including marginalized women, small farmers, indigenous communities, low-income urban residents, sexual and ethnic minorities, and youth.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As part of our newly revised Theory of Change, IDEX has increased its focus on knowledge sharing and strategic communications and marketing. Important characteristics in an applicant include the ability to motivate, excite and inspire people, a high performer who is entrepreneurial and flexible and has the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and opportunities.
The ideal candidate will build on work done to date and bring new ideas to increase IDEX’s credible influence, leveraging the knowledge, experience and insights of partners, board and staff. The Communications Director supports the organization’s goals, strategies, and points of view by framing and helping to convey them to relevant internal and external audiences. The Communications Director will play an integral role in helping IDEX achieve its programming goals over the next 18 months and beyond, including mobilizing more resources to solutions by visionary leaders on the frontlines of social good in Lain American, Asia and Africa. This position will help IDEX build a community of practice around its approach to international development as well take lead on amplifying partners’ work.
The Communications Director strengthens external understanding of IDEX’s identity and impact, and to inform, engage, and influence key audiences. We want people to smile, weep, share, and engage deeper in partnerships as a result of our work. You will report directly to the IDEX Executive Director and work collaboratively with the rest of the awesome team.
Strategy & Branding
• Oversee IDEX’s comprehensive communications strategy including execution of 2015 communication plan.
• Assess new marketing & communications opportunities and vehicles and implement the most impactful strategies and tactics for IDEX.
• Oversee building, improving and maintaining the integrity of IDEX’s brand experience at every brand touch point, including brand visual identity and messaging.
• Research and identify relevant new technologies, social networks, tools, and/or marketing tactics that can provide us with significant opportunities to motivate and engage our donors.
• Work with the IDEX team to ensure a consistent voice (tone, brevity, diction) in all of IDEX’s communications.
• Supervise contractors, vendors, interns and volunteers as required. Content Creation
• Help create or curate excellent content that we can publish on a variety of channels (newsletters, email communications, photography/video, annual reports, advertising, brochures, donor correspondence and other presentation materials) to achieve programmatic and fundraising goals.
• Engage IDEX’s grassroots partners, social justice allies and donors in creating relevant content. Media Relations
• Build collaborative relationships with the community, media and stakeholders to help further organization-wide goals.
• Proactively promote the organization across a variety of media channels including television, radio, blogs, social networks, digital sources and multi-cultural media outlets.
• Write, send, analyze and iterate on email & online fundraising and advocacy campaigns.
• Maintain and update IDEX website with relevant content from multiple sources.
• Build a large and loyal following for IDEX in the social media space.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Cultural competence and commitment to IDEX’s mission.
• Passion for owning and advancing IDEX's influence and impact across a variety of media including website, email and social media.
• Superior interpersonal and verbal communication skills and excellent writing skills.
• Strategic thinker and rigorous executer with superior organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
• Exceptional relationship management and community engagement skills.
• Bachelors or Masters degree in marketing, communications, international studies, information technology, public affairs, public relations or equivalent experience.
• Current knowledge of fundraising and communications best practices.
• Demonstrated excellence in digital copywriting, content creation and curation.
• Experience with website maintenance, email marketing and managing social media accounts for an organization.
• Proficient on Salesforce or equivalent database skills.
• Ability to design and execute experiments across a variety of communications channels and to analyze and learn from these.
• Work effectively with volunteers, staff, consultants, Board of Directors and allies.
• Strong judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive information.
Please submit cover letter with links to online samples of communications collateral and resume/CV to email@example.com no later than March 6, 2015 at 5 pm PST.
Article License: Copyright - Article License Holder: International Development Exchange (IDEX)