Technical Advisor (Governance)
The Technical Advisor will provide technical leadership of Governance Thematic Group (TG) and, in collaboration with Operations Heads of Departments and Directors concerned, develop and maintain thematic policies, strategies, operational plans, and directional papers to guide bank-wide work and ensure alignment with ADB’s Strategy 2020, and oversee preparation and implementation of Governance TG work plan.
Deadline: March 18, 2015
Organization: The Asian Development Bank
Wanted for the Asian Century: Thought Leaders and Change Makers for Governance Sector
The Asian Development Bank has been serving the developing countries of Asia and the Pacific for nearly 50 years. Our clients have advanced tremendously during this time in reducing poverty, improving people’s livelihoods, and fostering countries’ socio-economic development. Yet many still need to solve complex development challenges that require fresher, faster and more creative blends of finance, innovation, and knowledge. We know that what worked 5 or 10 years ago—or even last year—doesn’t necessarily work today.
Over the past year, we have put in place a rigorous, comprehensive change plan. Some of the actions are long-term and challenging; others are quick wins. The bottom line is that we are changing to better meet the needs of our clients, today and in the future.
We have strengthened our communities of practice and turned them into seven sector groups and 7 thematic groups to ensure that all the knowledge work they do is operationally relevant in the field. We are improving our strategic approaches and streamlining our business processes. We are breaking down the silos by updating our IT systems, prioritizing knowledge sharing, and promoting staff sharing across teams. An innovation working group, a knowledge team, and new talent management program are recent initiatives to help shake up the status quo and bring genuine change to the organization.
As a key part of this plan, we need an outstanding thought sector leader to help us drive change in the governance sector. This position focus on providing strategic operational support, knowledge management and knowledge sharing, and human resources and talent management support in the sector. They must combine high caliber technical expertise with creative thinking, and be talented communicators. They must inspire innovation, and be able to build teams and communities dedicated to solving development problems on the ground.
These positions offer tremendous opportunity to shape efforts to better serve our clients in Asia and the Pacific by tackling their toughest development challenges. We are most pleased to be part of this search for these key thought leaders to help in achieving our vision of a flourishing region without poverty.
Provide technical leadership of Governance Thematic Group (TG) and, in collaboration with Operations Heads of Departments and Directors concerned, develop and maintain thematic policies, strategies, operational plans, and directional papers to guide bank-wide work and ensure alignment with ADB’s Strategy 2020, and oversee preparation and implementation of Governance TG work plan. Ensure consistency of Governance thematic policy, strategy, and operational plan implementation. Work with complex issues and guide others in resolving complex problems with high levels of risk.
- Reporting to: Director, RSGG or DG, RSDD
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent:
- Administrative Staff
- National Staff
- International Staff
Master's degree or equivalent, in Governance or related fields. University degree combined with significant specialized experience in similar organization/s, will be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Significant relevant experience within the governance thematic area at senior levels
- Experience working in diverse multi-cultural environments
- International experience working in several countries
- Proven ability to act as a trusted, strategic advisor, partnering with clients to deliver results
- Proven ability to influence the design and execution of major policy initiatives, and promote innovations in project design and management
- Demonstrated organizational cross-cutting skills (e.g. collaboration, mentoring, innovation)
- Demonstrated experience working across boundaries and with complex multiple stakeholders
- Has a track record of conducting effective policy dialogue with country partners
- Proven ability to effectively implement complex change management initiatives
- Recognized externally as a technical expert and leader in the specific thematic area within the Asia Pacific region
- Demonstrated deep technical knowledge and expertise, with a track record of successfully applying it to achieve development results
People and Leadership Skills
- Proven management capability and well-established leadership track record
- Able to manage and motivate staff performance and career development in a diverse workforce, as well as establish a constructive work environment to maximize staff engagement and optimize staff potential
- Excellent diplomacy, coordination, liaison, interpersonal and team working skills
- Be a role model of ADB’s core values to team members
- Act as a mentor to team members, providing guidance
- Act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
For more details and to apply, visit http://www.adb.org/careers/adb-hr-14-0977
Deadline for applications is on 18 March 2015.
We encourage diversity in our workforce and support an inclusive work environment.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Women are encouraged to apply.
The vision of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a region free of poverty. Established in 1966 and based in Manila, Philippines, ADB’s multicultural staff come from about 67 members. ADB offers a competitive salary and benefits package. While the position advertised is for the ADB headquarters, staff must be prepared to serve in any location outside Manila, Philippines at the discretion of Management. Applicants must be nationals of one of ADB's member countries.
This article was first published by the Asian Development Bank.