Head Of Communications
The Head of Communications will provide strategic advice and leadership on all Girls Not Brides communications and media activities. S/he will lead efforts to increase awareness of child marriage and raise the global profile of Girls Not Brides.
Deadline: April 19, 2015
Location: London, UK
Organization: Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage
Based in the Girls Not Brides office in London, the Head of Communications will provide strategic advice and leadership on all Girls Not Brides communications and media activities. S/he will lead efforts to increase awareness of child marriage and raise the global profile of Girls Not Brides.
Driven by a belief in the power of partnership, s/he will also lead communications among our growing civil society partnership.It is an exciting time to join the Girls Not Brides team. In just three years, Girls Not Brides has grown to more than 450 civil society organisations that are based in over 60 countries.
Global attention to child marriage continues to build as Girls Not Brides members raise awareness of the impact of child marriage and what it will take to end it. At the Girls Not Brides secretariat we connect those working at grassroots, national and global levels as together we call for the laws, policies and programmes to be put in place that will make a difference in the life of millions of girls.
We empower those seeking to end child marriage through peer learning and exchange of best practices as we work to end child marriage and ensure girls can fulfil their full potential.
Accountability: Executive Director
Manages: Communications Officer and Digital and Content Editor
- Provides strategic leadership and advice on all Girls Not Brides communications and media activities
- Develops and implements external and internal communications strategies for the Girls Not Brides Partnership that are effective, high-quality and delivered across platforms
- Raises the Girls Not Brides global profile and promotes its work to key audiences
- Oversees work of the Communications team, consultants and interns
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership and advice on all Girls Not Brides communications and media activities.
- Develop effective communications strategies for the global partnership that further Girls Not Brides’ objectives and harness the expertise, talents and resources of Girls Not Brides partners to contribute to ending child marriage.
- Provide advice to members and partners developing communications strategies at local,national and regional levels
- Together with the Communications Officer, develop a media outreach strategy in support of Girls Not Brides’ strategic objectives. Work with international media, as well as national media in high prevalence and donor countries to highlight issues of child marriage and to promote strategies to end it.
- Manage communications strategy and outreach in relation to Girls Not Brides events and staff and Trustees’ trips.
- Oversee the development and implementation of effective tools to facilitate information sharing and communications among the members of the partnership, including newsletters,website, social media and other tools as required.
- Develop and ensure consistent messaging for Girls Not Brides secretariat and the collective efforts of the broader partnership.
- Draft, edit and supervise distribution of media releases and other materials for external communications.
- Oversee the Girls Not Brides/Filles Pas Epouses websites, and support the Digital and Content Editor in website management, e-communications and content creation.
- Oversee the Girls Not Brides social media presence to build and support a global campaign to end child marriage and support the Digital and Content Editor in its implementation and digital community management.
- Commission relevant print and broadcast material to be used by partners across different geographies.
- Build a global network of lead spokespersons or ‘champions’ to speak on behalf of Girls Not Brides across sectors (including politics, business, grassroots activists and NGOs). Respectfully guide spokespersons who may not have had prior experience speaking to the media.
- Contribute to the broader strategic, policy and programmatic work of Girls Not Brides.
- Provide support to members of the Board of Trustees and Advisory Committee and other champions for media and public appearances as required. Assist in preparation and editing of Annual Reports and other reporting materials.
- Direct and empower the communications team to deliver high quality, effective and timely messages using conventional and new media platforms. Requirements Expertise in communications strategy
- Demonstrated ability to create, develop and deliver a communications strategy for a global social issue campaign.
- Expertise in creating traditional media content, web content, managing online community engagement and online campaigning.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage internal communications.
- Excellent proven experience in working with media contacts interested in global social issues.
- Crisis and reputation management experience; maturity and discretion. Experience in amplifying the voices of a wide range of stakeholders, including grassroots activists and high-profile figures.Communications skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to write engaging, clear and concise copy.
- A keen eye for accuracy and detail.
- Excellent written and spoken English; fluency in French is highly desirable; proficiency in another relevant language is desirable.Management and interpersonal skills
- Strong management skills, including experience in managing contractors, such as web developers and photographers.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative team and with diverse alliances, including an ability to work in different cultural environments.
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal skills and ability to empower and inspire others.
- Ability to work with sensitivity and diplomacy with a range of stakeholders, including minors and people living in vulnerable situations or insecurity.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Experience working in developing countries or with developing country partners strongly preferred.
- Willingness to travel internationally when necessary, sometimes at short notice.
Eligibility criteria and terms
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to recruitment@GirlsNotBrides.org by 23:00 GMT on Sunday, 19 April 2015 clearly stating “Head of Communications” and your name in the subject line.
We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Article License: Copyright - Article License Holder: Girls Not Brides