Forum Program Coordinator
The Forum Program Coordinator is a full time position responsible for organizing the Forum preparatory process and conceptual inputs, building an innovative and creative methodology for the Forum program, advancing meaningful engagement of diverse actors & social movements in the Forum process, engagement strategy with Brazil-based organizations and partners.
Deadline: March 29, 2015
Forum Program Coordinator
(revised January 2015)
The Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID) is an international feminist organization working to be a driving force within the global community of feminist and women’s rights activists, organizations and movements, strengthening our collective voice, influencing and transforming structures of power and decision-making and advancing human rights, gender justice and environmental sustainability worldwide.
About the AWID Forum
Every 3-4 years, AWID organizes an International Forum on Women’s Rights and Development. The largest recurring event of its kind, the AWID Forum brings together close to 2,000 women's rights leaders and activists from around the world to strategize, network, celebrate, and learn in a highly charged atmosphere that fosters deep discussions and sustained personal and professional growth. The next AWID Forum will be in May 2016 in Salvador, Brazil.
Overview of Position
The Forum Program Coordinator is a full time position responsible for the following:
- Organization of the Forum preparatory process and conceptual inputs
- Building an innovative and creative methodology for the Forum program
- Advancing meaningful engagement of diverse actors & social movements in the Forum process
- Engagement strategy with Brazil-based organizations and partners
The Forum Program Coordinator reports to the Manager, Feminist Movement-Building
Work location: work location of the position is flexible
Forum Program and Process:
- Lead coordination of the forum preparatory process, liaising with relevant staff and external actors for the production of background resources, facilitation of related dialogues and other dimensions of pre-Forum work
- Ensure alignment between plans for Forum preparatory process and related activities being undertaken by AWID teams (with special attention to MCE and YFA)
- Work closely with AWID staff across multiple teams to coordinate and effectively implement their Forum plans, including providing methodological supports as needed
- Coordinate the process to innovate Forum methodology, facilitating the Forum methodology team (including members of staff and external stakeholders), and ensuring close coordination and alignment between this team and the International Planning Committee (IPC)
- Prepare regular updates for the IPC; and provide timely responses to questions
- Research and recommend diverse methodologies for various Forum components both in the lead-up to and on-site at the event, as well as any relevant follow-up activities
- Participate in the session selection process, grading submissions per established criteria
- Liaise with select session organizers for special Forum sessions/components, as required
- Prepare profiles of suggested plenary speakers for IPC review and support with outreach to invite and confirm selected speakers
- Serve as staff liaison with the Brazil IPC sub-committee: coordinating local outreach, organizing rating of sessions from Brazil and the local free-registration process, in close coordination with the Forum Logistics team
- Monitor progress and provide relevant supports to the program and multigenerational IPC committees: program, arts & culture, Brazil, Program, multigenerational, resource mob
Relationship-building and Mobilizing
- Coordinate the broad Forum relationship-building strategy (which includes work by several teams within AWID)
- Use guidance from the IPC-Brazil subcommittee to build alliances with key actors in Brazil for their meaningful engagement in the Forum.
- Support targeted relationship building with diverse social movements to enhance their engagement in the Forum. This includes virtual outreach as well as participating in relevant meetings and spaces as required. Likely actors include, but are not limited to: feminists working on environmental justice, feminists working on peace and anti-militarism, mainstream human rights actors, LGBTQI activists, Black and afro-descendent feminists, and women working on economic justice issues
- Support outreach efforts of AWID program teams, with a focus on encouraging submissions in response to the Forum Call for Proposals and promoting engagement in the preparatory process
Knowledge-Building and Debate
- Coordinate Forum knowledge-building strategy, with guidance from the Manager of Feminist Movement-Building and Scholar Associate
- Source and/or draft select knowledge resources contemplated in the knowledge-building strategy
- Contribute to identifying potential knowledge resource-people for Forum knowledge-building strategy and coordinate with select resource-people as required (including preparing terms of reference, reviewing and commenting on draft work products, monitoring fulfillment of deadlines, etc.).
- Facilitate, as relevant, on-line exchanges and debates related to the Forum theme
- Synthesize results of select Forum conversations and debates (both in the preparatory process and on-site)
- Field questions from external actors regarding the Forum knowledge-building and preparatory process, escalating, as needed to the Manager, Feminist Movement Building
- Liaise with AWID’s Resource Mobilization team and other staff working on the Forum Access Fund to ensure inclusion of strategic constituencies in Access Fund allocations and proper coordination and alignment
- Support drafting of Forum fundraising proposals and reports, adapting for specific donors requirements as needed
- Coordinate gathering of relevant information and data analysis for Forum evaluation strategy
- Active participant in relevant team planning and coordination meetings
- Maintain collaborative relationships with staff across AWID as needed to ensure accountability and effective coordination of cross-team deliverables
At least 6 years’ experience:
- working with social justice educational/learning processes
- working in a multi-cultural team
- working with non-profit organizations based in the Global South or East
- University degree in a related field
Expertise & Skills:
- Proven expertise in methodological design, facilitation and implementation of different types of activities
- Capacity to systematize information and produce content and documents of different formats, from a feminist and women’s rights perspective
- Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail;
- Ability to work with a diverse, multi-country virtual team, build consensus, and manage conflict
- Excellent interpersonal skills, relationship building and ability to build strong alliances across diverse constituencies
- Excellent communication skills in English and either Spanish or Portuguese; able to convey information clearly, concisely and in a compelling way to diverse audiences
- Demonstrated capacity to manage projects and develop, implement and evaluate operational plans with multiple deliverables and deadlines
- Ability to manage role demands and stress
Knowledge & Other Requirements
- Familiarity with international and regional women’s rights organizations and networks
- Able to travel internationally at least 6 times a year
- Committed to the principles and values of feminism and anti-oppression
How to apply?
Please submit, in English- a cover letter and résumé in Word or PDF format, addressing how you meet the necessary qualifications and outlining why you want to work for AWID, to email@example.com by Sunday,March 29, 2015. Please include “Forum Program Coordinator – [your name]” as the subject line of your email.
We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please. AWID encourages, promotes and support diversity in all aspects of its work. To learn more about AWID and our programs, please visit our website at www.awid.org.